Creating a Clone of a Cloud or Replica Volume
You can use HPE CV to create a clone of a cloud or replica volume using data from a specified snapshot. You might want to clone a volume to:
- Create test and development scenarios
- Analyze raw data
- Run disaster recovery work flows
- Copy a volume of data between cloud services
To create a clone of a cloud or replica volume:
- Click the name of the cloud or replica volume that you want to clone.
- Click the Snapshots list and then click a snapshot.
- Click the Clone button. The Create Clone wizard appears.
- Specify the name, IOPS, and Cloud Network settings for the new volume, and then click Next.
- Verify the configuration settings for the new volume, and then click Confirm. The volume appears in the Cloud Volumes window with a clone indicator icon, as shown in this example:
When creating a clone of a cloud or replica volume, keep the following caveats in mind:
- The size of the clone is determined by the snapshot that you select and not by the current size of the volume.
- Once you create a clone, you can only change the Provisioned IOP setting.
- If you want to delete a volume, you must first permanently delete all clones that were created from the volume.
Also note that you can create a clone of a clone by performing the above steps on a cloned volume. In such instances, a second clone designation is added to the name of the clone.
Copying Data Between Cloud Services
You can use the HPE CV cloning feature to copy data between supported cloud services.
For example, suppose you have an AWS volume that you want to copy to a cloud VM in Azure. To do this, complete the following steps: